Monday, November 11, 2013

Bringing Back Play dough!!

I love play dough. I love the smell, the colors, the feel, etc. So I wanted my students to enjoy it too to have another "break" from writing. This is so good for my students that have poor fine motor skills.
I found a recipe online that I could make in the the classroom since I have a microwave.

Kool aid recipe:
2 Cups Flour
1 Cup Salt
  2 Tablespoons Oil
   4 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
2 Cups Water
1 Package of kool aid

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl including the Kool aid. Combine the oil and water in a microwave safe bowl until it's almost boiling. Mix the liquid and the dry ingredients together. Once the mixture has cooled, knead the dough until it becomes smooth and soft.

I pulled a group of 6 or 7 students to come sit at the table with me. I read the instructions to them but they measure it out (with guidance). I did all the microwaving though because it is very HOT!

By the way it smells so good, so remind them not to eat it! 




I put the papers in a sheet projector and let them practice shaping the letters. Each group got some of the play dough they made to make the letters. I had to show the students how to roll it because some of them had never used play dough before.

Here is the alphabet paper I used!


I let the students take the paper and the play dough home for them to practice. You would have thought I have given them a hundred dollars they were so elated!

No comments:

Post a Comment